Sunday 18 March 2012

To all the mums out there

Dedicated to: Joy Shell
Happy mothers day.

I know it's a tiny bit too late but in light of mothers day; This is just a quick one for all the mums out there.
Its always important to know where you want to go in life. But equally, it's as important not only to know where you are, but also where you've come from. I know that right now I've a massive passion for video games. I know that this is only the case because of where I've come from. Growing up my siblings and I never wanted for much. I had a SEGA, Gamegear, Gameboy, SNES, Playstation, PS2 - and as the years went on and new consoles were released; I got them in the form of birthday or Christmas presents, and there's one person in particular to thank for that - mum. But even having the consoles didn't build my key interest into what it was today.


Some of my fondest gaming memories come from my childhood, whether they be ps1 gaming marathons or playing Dragonball Z with my brother, but some stand tall even further back than that. A few days ago I brought back Sonic Generations (another gift from mum) to my house and hooked it up to the main television in my front room. My mum happened to wander in and her eyes lit up at the sight of the spiky blue speed freak hedgehog.
When I was barely old or big enough to get my hands around a SEGA Megadrive controller, we'd sit for hours and hours together me and her playing through various levels of sonic and seeing her that happy at a game in turn made me feel happy. It was great to see her so enthralled with a game again and brought back heavy nostalgia. I cant remember the last time we bonded properly over a videogame and it occurred to me, her sitting with me and playing through sonic with me for all those hours definitely shaped my gaming passion into what it is today - and for that I can only say thank you.

So gamers, even if it is just once in a blue moon, remember one of the most important people in your life - who brought you into the world, fuelled your gaming addiction for years and probably, like mine, still funds and fuels it now.

Have a happy mothers day Mums, we appreciate you!

No comments:

Post a Comment